Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Blow Your Own Horn


Yesterday we took a walk by the Pearl Harbor Canal.  This was the same Canal that missionaries traveled into the actual harbor over a hundred fifty years ago.  As you can see, sequestration has meant that the lawns do not get their frequent cutting.  Good for the birds, but not for those who like a neat and trimmed look.
The kids brought bread to feed the fish while Tutu panicked about them getting too close to the edge and falling in.  Never fear, I was there to take pictures of whatever might have happened.
My circular polarized filter cut some of the glare so the fish could be seen.  It is like an aquarium  with much bigger fish.  Next time I will bring a whole loaf as the more bread was tossed the larger the fish seemed to appear.  

One long fish with a long snout and small mouth at the end is called the Cornet fish (below).

The blue-spotted cornetfish, Fistularia commersonii, is related to the trumpet fish, as are sea horses and pipe fish, all of which posses a flared, trumpet-like mouth. While the trumpetfish tends to be solitary, the cornetfish can be found alone or in small schools.  Distinguishing features include a whip-like extension at the end of the tail (called a caudal filament), and bluish dots along their pale bule-green bodies. They also grow larger than the trumpetfish, up to four or more feet.


As you can see, they liked whole wheat bread.  But when I read that they can get up to four feet in length, I was glad I didn't have to go retrieve a grandchild from the middle of them.
These beauties seem much less intimidating and they don't appear to have to "blow their own horn."

No comments: