Sunday, July 5, 2015

Water, water, everywhere...

Here is what lake people do when they are tired of the lake.  They slide down a soap and water lubricated home-made water slide over sticks, roots, and pine cones on their behinds and make a splash at the end before they hit the hay bales.  Sound like fun to you?
I was at Itasca State Park recently and saw this boat again that took us for a ride a year ago when we were celebrating my birthday.  Wish the kiddos were here!
After a year's hiatus my knee felt strong enough for a kayak ride. The hardest part was pulling it up the hill after the ride
It's a good thing we went out for another ride the second day since we spotted this Momma Loon with her two chicks on her back.  I have wanted to get such a picture for eight years but everything has to come together to make it happen.  We were bobbing up and down from the wakes of other boats plus drifting in the wind, but I managed several shots that were worth keeping
Often the babies look like a grey blob since there is little contrast on their bodies  This time at least I could see their eyes and beaks.  This hatch is quite late as other sites I have seen had hatches a month earlier.  Last year we had none on the lake, but I think we have four or five babies this year.  Now to keep them safe from eagles above, and pike and snapping turtles from below.
So all I need to get now for a picture is a Bald Eagle swooping down and using its talons to grab a fish to make my wish list of pictures complete.  I hope it doesn't take another eight years.

No comments: