Monday, December 24, 2018

German Roots in Texas - Fredricksburg

We are back in Texas and as the sign says, it's good to get "Luiken back" in Texas.  (sorry)
The original settlers were a cut above common folk.  The founder of Fredricksburg had to  negotiate with Texas for some land; then negotiated with 20 different Indian Tribes to not attack the settlement.  It is said that it is the only treaty which remained in good faith on both sides.  The man went on to be in the Texas legislature.   
The town is quaint with many old buildings, like this bank, and old stores and German culture.
We packed a lunch and though it was cloudy and cold we had a good time.
I asked a local lady what we should visit in just a short time like we had.  She said to go to Dooley's 5 and dime; "It smells just like it did when I was young cuz they use the same wax on the floor."  Ok if a five and dime is the most unusual store, let's go.
The store reminded me of the old five and dime in Eldora which we would go to occasionally.  It had things I hadn't seen in a store since I was a child.
You can tell the Texans were cold.


She also recommended a visit to the Holy Ghost Lutheran Church.
A janitor filled us in on the original size of the church which was later extended.
I thought the name pretty well summarized their doctrine: Evangelical, Protestant, and Holy Ghost!
I would recommend a stop at Fredricksburg if even for a couple of hours.

No comments: