Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Flying Things in the Desert




The desert has some beautiful flying creatures. This Vermillion Flycatcher is one of them.

Apparently "birders" from around the world come here to catch a glimpse of this beauty.



A local birder knew just where to tell me to go and find him and sure enough, he was there. No, it wasn't at a zoo, but the edge of a group of soft-ball fields near some trees.


Outside our hotel another sign of Spring... doves nesting in a nearby tree.

What would the desert be without Quail.
This one high-tailed it out of here when it saw me. Looks like it's Easter Bonnet is already purchased.

I would call this a Flicker but it probably has a Southern name.
This Curved Billed Thrasher has a beautiful song like his Northern neighbor.
The Acorn Wood-pecker already made a debut on the blog. I spotted him in the Madera Canyon south of Tucson.
I don't know that I had seen a Verdin before. They seem to be nectar drinkers and was going at this bloom on a cactus.
They are tiny birds with a patch of reddish-orange on each wing.
These flying things aren't really part of the desert but were cruising around in preparation for an airshow. They are the F-4 Phantom, the P-38 Lightning; and the P-51 Mustang.

No comments: