Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Beach Bums and Pink Lady Slippers

The big news at our house is that a couple of Hawaiian Beach Bums showed up last Friday with their Mom and Dad.  It was so fun to see them again.
They both traveled the 14 hours very well and were so excited to see Grandpa and Grandma, Uncle Jim and Aunt Gretchen, and cousin Mason, as well as Papa and Tutu.  We were all at the airport when they arrived, but Papa doesn't take indoor pictures well so screwed up the camera's settings.  Hence the pictures I got last March. 
We had other little visitors on the beach at the lake.
Mom and Pop Canada Goose stopped by with their youngin's.
Actually there were four parents with two broods.  You can see one cousin is much bigger than the rest.  It is amazing how early they nest and how quickly their brood grows to be ready for the long flight this fall.  Yes, summer is going quickly and the weather has yet to seem like summer.
It was fun seeing some activity that I could get close enough to. 
We stopped by Itasca State Park on the way home and caught the State Flower in full bloom.
Pink Lady Slippers are like an exquisite orchid and I have seldom seen them outside of the park.  On the last day of June they had reached their full potential and I was happy we stopped.
I have often thought it unusual that in the state park these flowers seem to bloom conveniently at the beginning of several hiking trails, almost like they had been planted where you can't miss them.  Not accusing anyone of anything... just sayin'.  I understand they are hard to grow and I don't think they want me picking or transplanting them.  Seriously, I would love to try some at the lake but I don't know where you could get permission or plants to try.
However they got where they are growing, it is no denying that Minnesota has a beautiful State Flower.

No comments: