Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stalking a rare bird

While on my morning walk I heard this pounding of wood and a pre-historic bird cry. I stood still and there... do you see it? (click on pictures to make larger)The red head of a Pileated Woodpecker, Minnesota and ND's largest. Come along and I will show you what I saw.About the size of a crow it is very impressive with its bright red head and black body.
Here he is working his way up the tree stopping to whack every once in awhile.
Careful now, I think he sees us...guess not as he gives a couple of more whacks.
That long neck really arches back before he hits the tree with a lot of force.
He must have found something...
Don't move I think he heard the camera shutter.
He's looking right at us now... and gone! So what's the big deal? Well, I am sixty-four and this is the second time I have seen this bird... big deal to me.
A couple of much smaller of God's creatures showed up for breakfast. This chic-a-dee gave me an earful before grabbing breakfast and taking off. (must be a female).
A male ruby-throated hummingbird looks like he just woke up.











1 comment:

Rob and Carrie said...

You sound like the crocodile hunter, only for birds.