Thursday, March 27, 2014

Considering Part-time Work

Since I am retired and there seems to be plenty of part-time jobs in Hawaii, I thought I might consider some of them.  For example this palm tree trimmer.
He takes the bucket to its full height, ties it to the tree, climbs on top of the bucket onto the tree and starts hacking away.
I don't know how he does it but a circle of palm fronds drop from the tree all in one fell swoop.  But since the wind was gusting at 25 mph and I don't like heights, I gave up on that one.
I saw this little building peaking above the trees and with my camera focused on it.  It is a lookout sentinel overlooking the canal into Pearl Harbor.  I could do that except at nearly 70 I doubt that they would take me into the Navy.
How about a Scuba Diver?  The fish are beautiful here.
But there are some bigger fish that don't look quite so cute.
And the shelf drops off quickly to 45 feet in the canal... no thanks.
How about a professional hiker?  I could lead a family like this.
But then again, we were there on a nice day and the trees indicate that the wind does blow up here.
And besides, the rain made the trail so slippery that my partner and I decided not to risk it.

We didn't have the support like the youngsters did.
And look what else we ran into, there are some nasty looking critters with bad eyebrows you could stumble upon.
This little piggy had several other little piggies all wanting a drink.
But that was the least of her problems.  Around her neck was a cable noose.  She had obviously been trapped.  Considering her frame of mind and the fact that she had little ones, I decided to let her be... though I did feel sorry for her and her dilemma.  There was no one around to tell about her bad day.
So maybe I could be a captain of a cargo ship or tug boat.
This guy looks good.  Maybe I could be a captain of my own harbor cruise for a sunset trip around Waikiki.
Or how about... no, never mind.
I guess I will stick to being Papa to these two.  Thumbs up, my Buddy!
This little one is so far advanced to where I was at her age.  Today at lunch her Mommy was reviewing their lesson in home school for the week and the question was: "What is the third law of Thermodynamics."  Let me say, I am not sure why she needs to know this at her age, but nevertheless, that was the question.  Without hesitation she replied: "It is impossible.... to be a giraffe."  Older brother was listening in and had just taken a big swig of milk...which as you might guess didn't go down his throat.  In case you don't know: "The third law of thermodynamics says that it is impossible to reach the temperature of absolute zero."  I like her definition better.

No comments: