Monday, March 25, 2013

Bird Riddle

I know some in my family don't like birds.  They would rather I not take pictures of flowers or birds and concentrate on people.  I got my interest in birds from my Uncle Carl who fed and photographed them when cameras used film in the misty, distant past.  Since he taught me my first camera lessons, I guess I picked up liking to photograph birds too.  There is something about trying to see them in their habitat and then getting close enough to take their picture before they fly away.  AND, unlike people, you don't have to wait for them to smile or say "Cheese."
The birds are different here in Oahu from ND.  Here are some of them that I have seen.
For those of you who are ornithologists, I have a riddle for you.
Other than all being birds in Hawaii, what do they all have in common... except one?

I suppose I could give you a hint by giving you there names, that might help, but I won't.
This one is a very intelligent bird as it is an abundant winter visitor to Hawaii after returning from its nesting grounds in the Artic.  Having flown for six hours from the coast of the US to Hawaii, I must say that they have some kind of navigation system to find these small islands in the middle of all that water.
This guy eluded me for quite some time, but I got him sitting on a Royal Poinciana tree blossom.
Here is one of my favorites.  Brilliant yellow with a red tinge on the head.  Easy to spot as they eat seeds and aren't hiding in trees.
Have you guessed the riddle?  Read on.
The answer: none of them is native to the islands having been brought here and released or migrating to and from, EXCEPT ONE!   This little bird was born on Oahu... the only native bird in the bunch.  Notice the black band around the eyes and the camouflaged head.  Truly one of a kind!

No comments: