Wednesday, July 17, 2013

All good things...

Yesterday we made a drive to the west side of the island for a day of exploring before heading home.  It is very dry and doesn't have the tourist crowd.  Most are locals and the atmosphere is entirely different from Waikiki.  Sort of puts the place into perspective realizing that the whole place isn't a paradise.
It reminded me of Arizona with its stark hills and dry landscape.  But even here, there are little pockets of believers who are sharing the Lord with others much like the book by Hiram Bingham that I have been reading about the first missionaries who came to Hawaii in 1820.
I named this "Monkey Mountain," but the kids didn't see it.  Do you?  Looks like a chimp to me.
I will miss being here and hearing the roar of jets overhead protecting our shores.
I will miss the beautiful flowers that never seem to stop blooming.
I will miss the colorful trees...
and the unusual birds.
Of course I will miss the beautiful surf and beaches.
But most of all I will miss this little family and their constant antics, surprises, and endless energy.  I will miss their Mommy and the great hospitality she has shown me.

I am pleased however with the great time we've had. The flight will take about 15 hours to get to Fargo.  It seemed like a long time until I read that it took the missionaries who first came here six months and two days to travel from Hawaii to New York by boat (No planes then, nor Panama Canal).  I guess I can handle 15 hours.
 Aloha for now.

No comments: