Monday, September 22, 2014

Visitors and an observation

Sunrise isn't always spectacular on Eagle Lake.  Sometimes the sun has to burn off the fog that is common this time of year.
We've had a number of visitors this summer but I usually forget to take their picture.  This time I remembered... friends from the camp ground and a visitor from Pennsylvania.  Good to see Lee again.  One dear friend who stopped by this summer for a visit and supper, has gone home to be with his Lord.  We will miss you, Ralph.
With the season changing, I put out some suet for the birds.  Here is the smallest Woodpecker in the forest... the Downy Woodpecker.  Compare his size with the biggest Woodpecker.
The Pileated Woodpecker.
They share a love of suet in common.
I learned something about trees in our park recently.  We have several  kinds of Evergreen trees in the park and I have trouble distinguishing between the Red and White pines.
But now I think I have distinguished their difference even though they look alike in their green branches.  Here is a Red Pine... its bark looks red.
The White Pine bark is noticeably diffent.
This time of year the needles fall heavily under the pines.  The White Pine needles have five needles and the Red Pine has two.  Whether it is five or two, they make a mess that will get raked in the Spring.

No comments: