There is certainly a mix of races on Hawaii and I don't mean just people. There is also a mix of birds. . . like this Japanese White-eye.
Another common bird is this Red-vented Bulbul (not native to Hawaii).
Another common bird is this Red-vented Bulbul (not native to Hawaii). 
The Cattle Egret is not a native either, coming from Florida in 1959 to control insects. Looking at the number of bugs, I think he might be lazy and more interested in looking pretty.
These guys are native Hawaiians - the Common Moorhen. I like their Hawaiian name better: 'Alae'ula.
I am not sure if this Black-crowned Night-Heron or 'Auku'u is native or not. They sit perfectly still on a low branch over looking the water and dive head first after their dinner of fish.
These guys, the Java Sparrows, came from Indonesia in 1867 and reintroduced in the '60's. They are preening in a Poinciana Tree, a tree that looks like a big, blooming poinsettia.
Here is a closer view of the Java Sparrow.
Yes, if you have ever been to Hawaii you have seen these. I guess they are called Red Junglefowl or Moa. They seem to roam freely on the islands. I would call this thing a rooster.
And these guys are ducks. 
These birds, The Red-crested Cardinal came from South America in the 1930's. It is also known as the Brazilian Cardinal.

I saw this "little bird" on the lanai this morning. I think he was the cutest.
1 comment:
That's cute! You certainly covered most of the birds we see on a regular basis!
Post a Comment